University Professor of Bioinformatics in Graz
Graz University of Technology / Faculty of Computer Science and Biomedical Engineering is seeking applicants for the position of an
University Professor of Bioinformatics.
The new professor will be employed on a full-time permanent position according to section 98 of the Austrian Universities Act (§ 98 UG) and will be assigned to a newly founded institute at the faculty.
We are seeking a candidate with proven scientific expertise who is able to represent the field of bioinformatics at an interdisciplinary level and with strong commitment. The successful applicant will be expected to lead a future-oriented, interdisciplinary research program that focuses on the interface between information sciences, medicine and biology using data from modern diagnostic and analytical methods. The professorship is also particularly intended to strengthen the existing inter-university cooperation BioTechMed Graz, founded by Graz University of Technology, the Medical University Graz and the University of Graz, and contribute to this cooperation through a broad range of experience.
Participation in teaching at bachelor, master and PhD level and active participation in academic autonomy are expected. Very good English language skills and the willingness to learn the German language are required. Relocation to the greater Graz area is also required.
Main Research Areas
High-throughput sequencing algorithms and applications, computational RNA biology and regulatory genomics, analysis and modeling of high-throughput mass spectrometry data, biomedical data integration and visualization, computational systems biology and network medicine, computational immunology/ bioinformatics of microbes and microbiomes, computational pathology, machine learning/ deep learning in biomedical data, analysis and bioinformatics in clinical applications.
- A completed university education with a doctoral degree (PhD).
- A relevant habilitation qualification (venia docendi) or equivalent qualification
We also expect
- Outstanding scientific achievements documented by internationally recognized publications
- Pedagogical and didactic abilities
- Experience in teaching (bachelor, master and PhD level)
- Integration into the international research community
- Successful securing of grants for third-party funded projects as well as implementation of said projects
- The qualification to lead and promote research teams
Graz University of Technology aims to increase the proportion of women, in particular in management and academic staff, and therefore qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Until a balanced ratio of men and women has been achieved at the university, preference will be given to women if applicants are equally qualified.
Graz University of Technology actively promotes diversity and equal opportunities. Applicants are not to be discriminated against in personnel selection procedures on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, religion or ideology, age, sexual orientation (Anti-discrimination). People with disabilities and who have the relevant qualifications are expressly invited to apply.
Interested applicants are requested to send a detailed application including
- a C.V. (including copies of certificates and diplomas) with professional/scientific background,
- a list of publications (including copies of the five most important publications),
- an outline of the past and planned activities in research and teaching as well as a concept for the future development of the institute,
- the application form available here
at the latest by
03 December 2018
per email to the Dean of the Faculty of Computer Science and Biomedical Engineering at Graz University of Technology, Roderick Bloem, per email: email@example.com
The hearings for the professorship will take place in the week of 11 February 2019. Candidates should be available for interviews in this period. For further questions, please contact Christian Baumgartner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Dean: Roderick Bloem